Climate change is affecting everyone worldwide, including residents here in our home state of Virginia. Summers are getting hotter and longer, and storms are more intense. The National Weather Service says we’re likely to have longer hurricane seasons, which means that Virginia has an increased chance of being affected. You probably know from experience that intense storms in Virginia can bring high winds, cause heavy flooding, and spawn a tornado. This makes it imperative that everyone is prepared for emergencies by having an emergency preparedness checklist. Caregivers should also have a checklist in place. Seniors receiving care often have special needs that must be considered in an emergency. Team Teal at AmeriCare Plus has experience with medical emergencies and natural disasters, and we offer these suggestions to help create an Emergency Checklist for Caregivers.
In the event of an emergency, your senior may need medical treatment. You’ll need to inform doctors and hospitals of your loved one’s current state of health and their insurance information. Be sure to have:
- A list of all prescriptions
- List of existing health conditions
- Names and phone numbers of the primary care doctor, any specialists, and their pharmacy
- Health insurance card (copy)
Keep these documents in a readily accessible location in a waterproof container or Ziploc bag.
During an emergency, you may need to produce proof of decisions your senior has made regarding their care. Have these documents copied and added to your emergency file:
- Living will
- Marriage certificate
- Do not resuscitate order
- A durable power of attorney
Your professional caregiver should also know where your emergency file is kept in case they’re present during an emergency.
As a family caregiver, you may need to handle your loved one’s financial affairs during a health emergency. Make sure you have access to:
- A financial durable power of attorney
- Mortgage Information
- Car title and auto loan information
- Lease agreement (if renting)
- List of all accounts, including utilities and due dates for payments
- Bank account information
- Usernames and passwords for online banking and bill-paying accounts
Personal Contact Information
During any emergency situation, reaching loved ones quickly is imperative. Have this personal contact information readily available:
- Names and phone numbers of close family and friends
- Contact information for all other caregivers
- Name and phone number of clergy of a preferred religious organization
- List of people to be notified during a health crisis
Around The Clock Care from AmeriCare Plus
If you’re concerned about ensuring your loved one’s health and safety in case of an emergency, AmeriCare Plus can help. We offer 24-hour home care respite care and everything in between. Need us for just a few hours a day? We can be there.
With 10 locations throughout Virginia and over 26 years of experience caring for seniors throughout the Commonwealth, AmeriCare Plus is the premier home care agency in Virginia. Contact us today to schedule your FREE in-home assessment and put our compassionate, trained caregivers to work for your family.
Get a personal assessment.
Call us today at 1.844.407.2273
Schedule your free, no-obligation assessment today!